Monday, January 9, 2017

Winterproofing Your Gear: Nikwax Vs Snoseal

Leather boots and gloves can benefit from waterproofing this winter!
This past weekend, all but ONE state in the US had snow on the ground! If you haven't already, you may want to think about winterizing your leather boots and gloves. It will not only protect them from water and snow damage but will keep you warmer. Here are a few of my favorite winterizing products that I use for my outdoor gear.





NIKWAX 
Nikwax WaterProofing Wax for Leather waterproofs, maintains support and breathability. I rub this into my leather boots that I've warmed gently with a blow dryer. I like this product but it does darken lighter colored leather goods such as my Blundstone Boots. This is how they looked before with a light spray of polish.


Blundstone Boots before Nikwax
I heated up my leather boots and rubbed in yellowish Nikwax paste with my fingers paying especially to the seams and stitching. This is where water and snow gets in. The beeswax in Nikwax is a natural water sealant and repellent.  Here is how they look after the waterproofing treatment.


Nikwax tends to darken lighter colored leather
Sno-Seal
Sno-Seal The Original Beeswax Waterproofing product offers all season leather protection. I started using Sno-Seal on my ice skating boots as doing so each season helped to both protect the leather and keep my feet warm on the open ice. I heated up the leather with warm blow dryer and add as much product as the leather will hold. New boots of course will take more than previously treated leather goods. Sno-Seal is also yellowish from the beeswax but more clear than the Nikwax which is practically opaque. I have used both products for some time now and lean a bit more towards Sno-Seal for ease of application and season-long protection. Sno-Seal also has less of a tendency to darken the leather. Find Sno-Seal in the sporting goods/hunting section of most stores or visit them online to see all the product line at Atsko.com


My riding boots with their first Sno-Seal treatment.
Both Sno-Seal and Nikwax will benefit your leather goods for: Hiking, Mountaineering, Golf, Soccer, Cross Country Skiing, Hunting, Fishing, Shoes, Boots, Gloves, Jackets and Equestrian Sports
Rub it into your ski boots, gloves and leather jackets. Watch the water and snow just bead up and roll off!


Sno-Seal applied to all of the boot's seams.

NIKWAX GLOVE PROOF
Nikwax GloveProof Sponge-on waterproofing for gloves waterproofs,maintains breathability and grip. The sponge applicator releases a thin, clear liquid onto both leather AND fabric gloves such
as Gore-Tex. I have used it on calveskin and sheepskin gloves and is great. Just apply it to the glove surface, paying special attention to the seams and stitching. It may darken lighter colored leather goods so you'll need to watch for that. Sponge it on and wait for about 2  minutes. Wipe off the excess with a damp cloth and you're done.  Nikwax is available at most sporting goods stores or visit them online for their complete product line at Nikwax.com


NIKWAX Glove Proof
So get ready! I take out my blow dryer, boots and gloves each season to winter-proof them before the snow comes. That way I'm ready to go without worrying if my footwear can handle the snow and rain. However I don't wear sneakers or cloth athletic footwear in the wintertime. I do winter hikes and snowshoeing in leather boots and footwear. However, you can spray your running shoes with water repellent to keep them cleaner and dryer. In fact here's my feature article on how to Renew Your Shoes featuring easy steps to bringing those running shoes back to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment