Monday, April 11, 2016

Race Week Rituals and Training Table Must Haves

Last minute additions and prep during Race Week.
Marathon Season has begun! The week of a major race is always stressful. I try to keep a lot of it at bay by backing off my training, (at least running anyway), a bit to rest and be ready for the demands a 10k or half marathon will place on my body.


Running in the More/Shape Women's Half Marathon in Central Park
Keep in mind that I am running my next half marathon again (The More/Shape Women's Half Marathon), as an embedded journalist so I'm not watching the clock as I did for the Run10FEED10 10k. All the same, it can be a long day so here are some of my race week rituals and training table inclusions:


A clean road shoe is a happy road shoe.
Come Clean - Running Shoe Scrub Off
Whatever shoes I chose to race in deserve a little freshening up the week of the race. I use an old toothbrush and a few foamy puffs of Sno-Seal Shoe & Boot Foaming Cleanser. The dispenser gives you billowy clouds that don't soak your shoes to death. A little scrubbing and then turn them upside down for a quick rinse off. I let them air dry and they are sparkling gorgeous for race day. Works on leather trim and leather shoes too. Visit Atsko.com for this and other shoe care/cleaners.


Hoka One One Running shoes air drying after a scrub.

Keeping Your Cool
I also make sure to eat a sufficient amount of anti-inflammatory foods during race week. This includes salmon, mackerel, sardines, sweet potatoes, beet juice and omega 3 fatty acid supplements. I also include a little grass fed, free range, red meat which boosts iron, B-12 and CLA's levels not to mention high quality protein my muscles will need. Muscle soreness is not something I look forward to so a few extra ounces of salmon can make all the difference in the world.


Fresh salmon marinated in lemon juice.

Going Nuts
Nuts are a powerhouse of protein and good fats your body will need for race day. You don't need a lot but 1/4 cup of nuts or 49 pistachios (which are actually seeds) constitute a serving. I like roasted cashews, pistachios and raw pecans especially. I get a bag and store them in the fridge for extra freshness and crunchiness. Natural nuts keep better at cooler temps so I keep dry roasted seeds like these pistachios from Setton Farms refrigerated.


I go a bit nuts during race week.

Hydrate Powerfully
Race Week for me includes fruit and vegetable smoothies, coconut water and of course pure water all day everyday. As I mentioned before, I have been adding Beet Root Juice to the mix for extra endurance and will most likely use it just before the race itself. Another find has been Nitro Decimus Powder. 0 sugars but has a respectable amino acid profile and creatine blend. Spiked with caffeine though in amounts they don't want to disclose...not good! 

Invo Coconut Water Sencha Green Tea is straight up, natural. Nothing sweet about it. Only thing is it must be consumed within 24 hours of opening. See all the flavors at Invo-Juice.com


Invo Coconut Water and Decimus Blasting Powder

Race Day Goodies to Go
Macrobar - Are you like me and SO over high sugared energy bars and glucose gels that taste like chemicals in your mouth? Join the club! I'm really liking the GoMacro Macrobar, especially their Everlasting Joy bar with real coconut, almond butter and chocolate chips. These are NOT super sweet which I appreciate because stuff like that gives me a stomach ache...something no one wants to run with. Each bar gives you 10 grams of protein for your trouble. Soy free, vegan, gluten free and just plain delicious. 

Pistachio Chewy Bites - These portable powerhouses are loaded with over 50% pistachios and contain cranberries. The two together make for a serious antioxidant double whammy in a very portable size. Grab and go, these are the perfect size for me just before a run as a full sized meal or protein bar would be best eaten after the race. Check them out along with their sacks of pistachios at SettonFarms.com


Pistachio Chewy Bites and GoMacro Macrobar
So just like cramming for an exam, feed your body right especially the week before a major endurance event. You'll be so glad you did!


My race week training table picks.




No comments:

Post a Comment