|Cooler temps and changing colors make autumn the perfect time for a bicycle tour. Basil Cosa Rear Basket on an Schwinn Admiral|
|You can either rent a bicycle or take along a foldy like this Barcelona model from Citizen.|
An alternative to renting a bicycle on location is to bring along a foldy. Many of these models pack down to almost luggage size and allow you to take them on board a bus, ship, train or airplane.
|My Greenzone Alloy Folding Bicycle weighs about 25lbs. PHOTO: Chelsea Piers, NYC|
I've traveled with my Greenzone Folding Bicycle by train and it was really easy to set up and ride once we disembarked.Starting at Penn Station on 34th Street and 7th Avenue, it took less than 20 minutes to roll downtown to our destination at the Lighthouse Restaurant at Chelsea Piers. I recorded such a ride with my Greenzone for this NYC Bike Path Film.
|Brompton folding bicycle goes anywhere!|
If you are doing a "stay-cation", you can use a full sized bicycle that will hold a lot more gear for your day out. This would be a day-trip on bicycle so you just need enough things for a picnic lunch and a comfortable day out. Just like a backpacking trip but on your bicycle! Here's how:
|Detours Sodo Front Bag has a clear sleeve for your ride map and phone.|
- Map your destination ahead of time. I like Detour's Sodo Front Bag as it has a clear case for your ride map and iPhone. A trunk and panniers hold enough for a day's worth of travel gear.
- Don't forget to bring a picnic blanket if where you're going does not have tables and benches.
- It's always good to pack your food in a separate thermal tote. It will keep your food and drinks cold until your stop to eat. They come in different sizes and shapes to fit your bicycle rack or panniers.
|My Gore Bike Wear Phantom SO Lady Jacket has removable sleeves-perfect for bicycle touring and stow away in my trunk and panniers!|
- Remember to pack a flat kit and a small first aid kit for emergencies on the road. I like the Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight-Watertight series.
- Bring a change of clothes and a water-proof jacket in case of rain. Shower's Pass Portland Jacket is perfect for cooler fall weather and heavy downpours.
- Bring enough water or if you are going to a place where there is a safe water source you can take along a CamelBak All Clear UV Microbiological Water Purifier. It uses UV light to treat the water so you needn't haul large amounts for the trip.
|Tour-ready and easy to pack, Portland Jacket by Showers Pass|
|Water and juicy snacks are perfect for a bicycle tour!|