Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Spring Training: The Beat 20 Heart Rate Monitor and 30 Days of Biking

YES! I signed up for 30 Days of Biking for the month of April. You can too so take the pledge!
NYC/Metro Area  Ah, spring is indeed in the air! I know because my sinuses are draining like crazy but not to be discouraged, I got on my bicycle for the first time this year. There was so much awe that it or I even moved as it's been bitterly cold of late. No matter. I got out there!  Surprisingly enough there were some things that were still functional after a long winter's deep freeze in the great North East.


Bicycle Electronics Check List:


Bicycle Headlight - My Cree 3K Lumen is a super bright rechargeable headlight and has a separate power source which is always disconnected when I finish riding. Bright as ever, it fired right up. A very good investment, I've had this light on my bicycle since 2013.
DiNotte Daytime Red Tail Light

Bicycle Tail Light - Once again, you get what you pay for. Behold The DiNotte Daytime Red. Although installed on my Terry Symmetry when I connected the light to the battery pack, BOOM, beautifully fired up lights. Rechargeable and extremely bright, it can be seen in broad daylight by over a mile. I've also had this light on one of my bikes sine 2013. 

Electric Horn - This extra loud, 105 decibel Megalert Megahorn Bicycle Horn uses one 9 volt battery...forever.  Another relic, I think I changed the battery twice since purchasing it back in 2011.  After a long deep freeze it still blew the doors off the bike garage! 



So having been pleasantly surprised at how well everything still worked, I only had one casualty. The Reflex Auto Tail Light was dead and new batteries couldn't revive it. The CatEye Commuter Wireless Bicycle Computer needed a new battery which I changed and so it is up an running again. Likewise the Planet Bike Blaze 45 battery powered headlight on the Terry Symmetry just needed a new battery. A very well made bicycle light, the PB still rocks. Not bad! After washing the frame, oiling the chain, polishing the saddle and cleaning the rims I was motivated to sign up for 30 Days of Biking this year for the month of April.  All the warmer days in March will be conditioning runs for the daily rides next month. Cycling is a fantastic way to ease your way back into condition after being somewhat sedentary over the winter. You don't have to ride long or far, just commit some portion of each day to a bicycle ride.  You can do this!  Go ahead, sign up and take the pledge to ride your bicycle everyday for the month of April here at 30 Days of Biking.  #30DaysofBiking!




My 30 Days of Biking ride equipemnt + a new cross training accessory

Spring Training with the Beat 20 ECG Heart Rate Monitor

This season I have the chance to try this new ECG Heart Rate Monitor to train with. Unlike other heart rate monitors (that I've attempted to use), this one is easy to set up and get working right out of the box. Comes fully charged with recharging ability via USB cable. It actually shows your real-time ECG wave as if you're in the doctor's office!  Pretty advanced.  Connects to your phone via Bluetooth and the sport app, it will store your training sessions which can be saved and uploaded elsewhere.

The Beat 20 sensor is waterproof, making it suitable for everything from sweaty weight lifting to swimming pool laps.  Also gives you: distance, speed, steps taken, cadence, data storage and analysis with a vibration warning when you are reaching your heart-rate threshold. Your personalized profile within the app shows YOUR maximum heart rate based on age and other individual factors. It can also be paired with your bicycle computer so you can have all that data in one place during your ride. This is a bit more complicated and you'll need to be sure that your bicycle electronics has either Bluetooth or ANT+ connection capabilities.  Perfect also for walking, running or weight lifting sessions at the gym. The chest strap itself is very comfortable and easily adjustable. Quite impressed so far with the Beat 20 and can't wait to start seriously training with it this spring.  Check it out at Shanren Tech



The Beat 20 ECG Heart Rate Monitor by Shanren Tech

No comments:

Post a Comment